about shop patterns projects printables extras sponsorship wild olive twitter flickr pinterest subscribe

thread bits // handling knots when backstitching



Thread Bits are short posts that have some little tips or ideas or bits about stitching. It's been a while since the last time I shared one of these posts, but I think it's time to make them more frequent again.

So today is about what happens when I embroider with back stitch and how to fix it.

Handling Backstitch Knots

I used to do everything to avoid them, but I now use knots when I embroider. I won't go into all the reasons why just now, but whatever your stance on knots, just know that it's okay. Believe me.

Anyway, with certain stitches, but most often with back stitch, there can be a problem. When the needle goes through the same hole where there's a knot on the reverse, the point of the needle will catch the knot. And it pulls the thread and is annoying.

Handling Backstitch Knots

This may be obvious, but I'm sharing it anyway. To fix this, I use my fingernail to hold the knot out of the way as I am pushing the needle through the fabric. Don't pull it so much that it pulls the stitch on the front, but just use your nail to guard the knot from the needle.

This is such a good habit to pick up. You'll be glad you did, because sometimes I still forget. And of course it drives me crazy when I catch the knot.

Happy stitching!

1 comment:

  1. It drives me nuts when I catch the knot too!

    ReplyDelete

I often reply to comments in the comments...check back if you have a question!